Live-in Care – Understanding your Options
Live-In Care can be a viable around-the-clock solution to your home care needs, but comes with many important considerations. We have several Live-In Care Options!
Retire-At-Home’s Live-In Care can allow you or a loved one to remain safe and comfortable in your own home while receiving the constant care and supervision you require from a trusted Caregiver. We will work with you to find the most comprehensive and affordable solution for your loved one, while ensuring the service is matched to your medical needs and personal preferences.
What is Live-In Care?
Live-In Care is defined to be a home care support situation where the caregiver actually lives with the client for one or more 24-hour periods. The Live-In Caregiver lives, sleeps and eats in the client’s home during the time that they are there, and in order for this service to be feasible, the caregiver must be able to sleep at night and have private accommodation (i.e. a bedroom and bathroom). During the time that the Caregiver is working, they do not go home, and will remain with the client at all times.
When Would You Need Live-In Care?
Live-In Care can be a viable Home Care option for any number of reasons. The following are some situations that often require around-the-clock Live-In Care in Greater Victoria:
- Around-the-clock companionship and supervision for an active senior that may recently be widowed or simply be at an age where they are fearful of living alone.
- Post surgery or hospitalization situations where the recovery requires some personal care and home support during the day and a watchful ear at night.
- Palliative or End-of-Life situations where professional personal care and supervision is required around-the-clock with is Live-In Care for
- Living with a chronic disease that causes mobility & other challenges that can hamper safety and well-being if not supported around –the-clock.
Option 1: Live-In Care Recruitment Program
Some of our clients chose to employ and manage their Live-In Caregivers themselves, but the families lack the time and tools to find an appropriate live-in caregiver. Retire-At-Home in Greater Victoria will meet with you and your loved ones to determine what qualities and characteristics you are seeking in a Live-In Caregiver and explain how Live-In Care works.
Our Live-In Care Recruitment Program includes:
- Initial consultation
- Job description and caregiver profile
- Applicant screening with phone and in-person interviews
- Coordination of the interview process (once we have the top two candidates)
- Reference checks completed
- Criminal record check completed
Assistance with helping you become an employer including:
- Payroll source deductions
- Workers’ Compensation
- Obligations to Federal and Provincial Tax agencies
- Tips for managing a successful care plan
Option 2: Case Management for existing Live-In Care
Do you or a loved one already have a Live-In Caregiver, but feel that the care they provide is either not adequate or requires the supervision of a Nurse or Home Care Specialist?
Retire-At-Home in Greater Victoria offers a Live-In Care Management Program! Our Case Managers are capable of overseeing the care you already receive from your trusted Live-in Caregiver and we can direct the care that they provide and ensure that all aspects of your care are meeting the highest standards.
Our Case Management for existing Live-In Care includes:
- Weekly visits by an experienced Client Care Manager
- Training and review on basic personal care techniques
- Training on Retire-At-Home documentation
- Ongoing supply of Retire-At-Home documentation
- 24-hour on-call support for questions and urgent matters
- Communication with other health care professionals
- Aid in navigating the health care system
- Arrangements for Home Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Immediate response for additional care.
Contact us today to discuss the home care options for you or a loved one in Greater Victoria, or to book a Free In-Home Consultation.
We proudly serve the following towns and communities in Greater Victoria:
Victoria, Oak Bay, James Bay, Colwood, North Saanich, Central Saanich, Saanich, Sydney, Langford, View Royal, Metchosi
Contact Us Today to Speak with a Home Care Specialist!
Bob and Linda
Bob and Linda